Educational experience includes K-12, Higher Educational and private schools. PMM is well versed on SREF, Florida Building Codes and ADA Requirements as well as the sensitive nature of working in areas occupied by students.
Educational Project Experience
- Florida International University Solar Decathlon, Miami, FL. The US Department of Energy invited 20 teams to participate in their 2011 Solar Decathlon in Washington, DC. FIU is one of the teams to build and operate a solar powered house that is affordably energy efficient and attractive. Construction Documents (plans and calculations) are being prepared for permitting and construction by the students under our direct supervision. We will be the structural engineer of record for the facility.
The facility had to be designed to comply with structural requirements set forth by the Department of Energy and the National Parks Services since the facility while in Washington was to be in the “The National Mall” located in downtown Washington, DC. The facility also had to comply with the requirements of the Florida Building Code since once the competition was over the structure was to dismantle and be transported to its final destination at FIU’s Modesto A. Maidique Campus.
- Florida International University School of Architecture, Miami, FL. New 94,000 SF School of Architecture located at FIU's University Campus. The winning design contains two wings with a defined interior space.
The compound consisted of five distinct buildings: all the buildings consisted of precast prestressed concrete elements from double tee's to inverted "T" beams to load bearing precast concrete panels in accordance with the requirements set forth by the precast Concrete Institute. The structure was designed to comply with all requirements set forth by ASCE 7-95 and withstands winds up to 110 miles per hour.
- St. Theresa Catholic School Floor Joists, Coral Gables, FL. During a floor tile replacement project, sagging was noted on multiple classrooms on this 3-story, 80-year old historical school. Due to age, the wood floor joists of this 3-story facility had sagged approximately one-and-a-half inches.
This condition was encountered during the end of the term of school year so shoring plans were developed to protect the safety of the students. Construction plans were prepared and permitted using steel framing to secure the wood floor joists and remove some of the sagging of said joist.
- St. Theresa Catholic School ADA Upgrades, Coral Gables, FL. To comply with ADA requirements, construction documents for an elevator were prepared to provide handicap access to all three floors of this 80-year old historical school.
- St. Theresa Catholic School Window Improvements, Coral Gables, FL. As a result of previous hurricanes, the Administrators realized that installing hurricane resistant windows was a must to this 80-year old historical school. Wind load calculations and plans were prepared and are they are currently in the process of securing permits with the Historical Boards.
- St. Theresa Catholic School 40 Yr. Certification, Coral Gables, FL. During a 40-year re-certification of this 3-story, 80-year old, historical school, structural deficiencies were encountered in which structural plans for the repairs were performed. Construction Administration Services were also provided as the work progressed during the school year.
- Summerville Charter School, Miami, FL. Design of a new 40,000 SF charter school located in SW Miami Dade County. School consisted of classrooms, cafeteria, conference rooms, administration offices, teachers lounge, storage areas, physical education areas, restrooms and library.
The facility consisted of a two story load bearing masonry structure where the first elevated floor consisted of pre-stressed pre-cast concrete joists supporting a concrete slab, the roof consisted of open web steel joists supporting a metal decking; all on spread foundations.
- Advantage Academy, Miami, FL. Design of 48,000 SF charter school located in Miami Dade County. School consisted of classrooms, meeting rooms, administrative offices, teachers’ lounge, art room, cafeteria, storage areas, janitorial closets, physical education areas, library and restrooms. The facility consisted of a two story load bearing masonry structure where the first elevated floor consisted of pre-stressed pre-cast concrete joists supporting a concrete slab, the roof consisted of open web steel joists supporting a metal decking; all on spread foundations.
- Christopher Columbus High School Locker Rooms, Miami, FL. To compliment their athletic program, Construction Documents and Construction Administration Services were provided for a 1,000 SF office and locker room for the baseball team.
- Christopher Columbus High School - Pedestrian Bridge, Miami, FL. To reduce the time it takes the students to get from one class to another, Construction Documents and Construction Administration Services were provided for a cast-in-place concrete pedestrian bridge (75’ long x 11’ wide) that connected the second floor of various classroom buildings.
- Christopher Columbus High School Wrestling Room, Miami, FL. As a result of decay, the 800 SF wood roof to one of the ancillary buildings of the 180,000 SF facility required replacement. Construction documents and Construction Administration Services were provided to remove the damaged wood roof structure and replace with a new long-lasting steel roof structure.
- Maintenance Material and Facilities Operations Center, Dade County School Board, Miami, FL. Prepared construction documents and construction supervision for a 240,000 SF renovation.